On 11/28/12 18:49, Warren Block wrote:
On Wed, 28 Nov 2012, mike miskulin wrote:

About to build a replacement system for an older i386 setup.   A few
years ago I had tried the amd64 port on it and found it was frustrating
as things that just worked on i386 did not on amd64. IIRC ports were
large annoyance too.

Now I have a new system with 8GB, etc,etc and wonder if I am best off to
stick with i386 and PAE or is the amd64 version finally on a par or
close enough that I would not likely have many issues like in the past?

Thanks for your thoughts/(recent) experiences.

Do you use emulators/wine?  If not, switch to amd64.  In fact, even if
you do, switch to amd64 to use that 8G of memory.  Building 32-bit Wine
on amd64 is a hassle, but packages are available and I think there is a
64-bit port on the way.

I heard valgrind is another... in case you are a developer.

 bye
        av.