Hi,

wasn't the same question here a few days ago?

On Tue, 18 Dec 2012 00:16:36 -0500
Aryeh Friedman <aryeh.fried...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Ever since 8.X (my system is now 9.1-RC3 [done via csup]) been using
> i386 with the following main ports:
>
> x11-wm/xfce4

yes.

> www/firefox

Yes.

> www/linux-f10-flashplugin11
> editors/libreoffice

Yes.

> www/tomcat-7
> www/apace22

Typo? Apache 2.2 runs.

> devel/aegis (I am the maintainer)
> devel/fhist
> devel/cook
> java/openjdk6
> emulation/virtualbox-ose (and additions)
> print/cups

Yes.

The ones I did not answer, I do not have installed.

> I have avoided amd64 in the past due to some or not all them working,
> but want to switch if possible because PAE seems to be broken now on
> i386.

It was a big jump forward when I switched during 8.0 or 8.1.

> So I have the following questions:
>
> 1. Will all the above ports (and their dependencies) work on amd64?

I gave you the answer if I knew one. I general, I do not have problems
which are linked to 32 or 64 bits.

> 2. Is there any way to do a in place switch to amd64 or do I need to
> rebuild the system from the ground up?

To my knowledge, it is still a fresh installation. Just download an
image and start from there.

> 3. In general is amd64 now as capable of handling ports and such as
> well as i386 does?

I saw that some ports I used to use on i386 went 100% smooth on amd64.
I believe that this has improved even further.

Just make the jump.

Erich