which C function is best to check for the existence of a
        *directory*?  say that I am want to make postitve that "/tmp/foo/"
        exists.

        ALso: which will make sure that the directory AND ffile
        "tmp/foo/filename12345" exists and that I have read access to it?
        in other words, can playing around with access() and stat() be
        best?  is there any new dirstat("PATh") that would work?

        just want to see which way is best?

        dank mucho, y'all!

        gary

--
 Gary Kline  kl...@thought.org  http://www.thought.org  Public Service Unix
              Twenty-six years of service to the Unix community.