Hi,

On Thu, 20 Dec 2012 05:13:39 +0100
Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mard...@rocketmail.com> wrote:

> ok, so "FreeBSD release" is the version of the kernel and not a
> labelling for the collection of all the software.

yes. It is even so that the ports work on all 'current' FreeBSD
versions but not the packages. With other words, you will download
always the same source files for 7.4, 8.3, 9.0, 9.1 and 10.0 but
compile it then for your version.

> For Linux major distros there usually is a labelling for the
> collection of the software, independent of the kernel version.
>
> On Linux I usually install binaries for the base system and desktop
> environment, but for important software, in my case it's audio,
> compiling from source is very important.

This does not really matter here. It is only that you might do not have
the options compiled in you will need when using the binary.

> The author of the snd_hdspe driver for FreeBSD seems to need testers.

I never have heard of this driver.

> It seems to be that nobody ever tested if ADAT is working and I'll
> test it. OTOH I suspect bug fixes for the driver have to be added by
> recompiling the kernel or at least the driver for the kernel, so I
> still could use binaries for the applications.

Using sources for the kernel is then the way to go. Binaries could work
if the required options are compiled in.

You can mix binaries and source within the applications. I do this all
the while. I install very often the binary and compile later from
sources.

> Since audio on FreeBSD seems to be a niche, I wonder if it's more
> promising, to go the source or to go the binary rout.

Source is the more promissing route here as niches are not supported by
default. There are some rare cases in which options exclude each other.
So, if you have strange hardware, source is the only route.

> I suspect if it's impossible or at least less good to mix binaries and
> from source build software for FreeBSD, I should chose to build from
> source.

You can mix. If it works, it works. If not, it is most likely an option
not compiled in you would need.

Erich