In freebsd-questions Digest, Vol 448, Issue 3, Message: 24
  - please pardon the loss of threading -
On Wed, 2 Jan 2013 02:47:41 -0500 (EST) d...@safeport.com wrote:
 > On Wed, 2 Jan 2013, Matthew Seaman wrote:
 >
 > > On 02/01/2013 05:20, doug wrote:
 > >> Is this command being phased out? pkg_add -r uses a default environment
 > >> of
 > >> ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/amd64/packages-9.1-release/Latest/
 > >
 > > In fact, yes, pkg_add and the other pkg_tools commands are being phased
 > > out in favour of pkgng.  However it is early days yet, and the problem
 > > you're seeing has nothing to do with that process.  pkgng won't become
 > > the default in 9.x until the next release: until then the status quo
 > > ante persists.

Looking forward to using pkgng on my next 9.1 laptop, thanks Matthew.

 > >> This path does not exist on ftp.freebsd.org.
 > >
 > > Quite so.  It's because of this:
 > >
 > > http://www.freebsd.org/news/2012-compromise.html
 > >
 > > As a consequence, large parts of the package building infrastructure are
 > > quarantined, pending reinstallation.  Also there is a lot of work going
 > > into revising the software used to build the packages with security
 > > enhancements in mind.  So there simply aren't packages available yet to
 > > go with 9.1-RELEASE.
 >
 > Ah yes, thank you Matthew. I had forgotten about that. I guess the 9.1RC3
 > packages were removed for the same reason.

ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/amd64/packages-9-stable/Latest/
is still there, though.  I ran into this from the installed 9.1-RELEASE
/etc/motd's suggestion of adding Handbook, FAQ etc by using pkg_add -r
en-freebsd-doc.  I browsed to

ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-9-stable/docs/en-freebsd-doc-39278,1.tbz

dated October, and figured that should do for now :) I could have set
PACKAGESITE but it was as easy to fetch(1) that file then pkg_add it.

If I were going to install say X + KDE on that laptop - which I'm not -
I'd merrily use what was fresh in October and upgrade as packages become
available again, and build anything needing 'more freshness' from ports.

cheers, Ian