On Tue, 8 Jan 2013, Mike. wrote:

On 1/2/2013 at 12:11 PM Fbsd8 wrote:

I tried to run the dd commands...

Using the LiveFS disc for FreeBSD 9.1, I got some manner of permission
error, indicating that something would not let the dd commands execute.
Using the LiveFS disc for FreeBSD 8.3, the dd commands completely
successfully.

After zero-ing out the sectors, I tried to install FreeBSD 9.1, and I
continued to get the RAID problems trying to mount root.

So I punted that drive, and used another drive.   FreeBSD 9.1 installed
without an issue, and it is running fine as I type this.

So there is something about that other disk drive (something that is
not in the last two sectors or the first sector) that the 9.1 install
has issues with.

RAID metadata could be larger than the last two blocks. Even a leftover GPT backup table is 34 blocks by default. If the drive is still attached to the controller that put the metadata there, it may hide those blocks from the user. The RAID BIOS menus or graid(8) may be needed to clear the metadata in that case. Or move the drive to another controller that will not recognize the old metadata.