I don't see any way to do this directly. What you probably want to do is
use find(1) to pick out the new files to check, and then merge the
changes into the old mtree(8) spec. Not trivial, but the spec syntax is
intended to be easy to parse, so it shouldn't be that hard either.

What I am currently doing somewhat fits your description. I feed find
output into a C program that merges the old description with the
directory state to produce a new description. However, I use a format
different than mtree. I was seeking a shorter, more elegant, solution.

It's possible that the mtree support in tar(8) might be able to do it,
but it would probably be a lot slower.

Wait, can tar be used to remove files?