28.01.2013 03:36, Shane Ambler:
On 28/01/2013 10:27, james wrote:
I have a 9.1 system with some SATA disks in RAIDZ, upgraded from 9.0.

The disks are all the same type, and I formatted them for FreeBSD and
put ZFS in a slice covering most of them.

I have seen suggestions for OpenIndiana etc that it is better to let ZFS
have the whole raw disk and that this can control the way it manages the
disk writeback mode.

Does this apply to FreeBSD and ZFS too?

Presumably the disks are currently FreeBSD-specific.  If I used raw
disks instead of slices, could I read them from a Solaris system too?

I recall reading that using partitions for zfs on FreeBSD was as good as
full disks. For a boot zpool we need to at least have a partition for
the boot-code and one for zfs preventing the use of a full disk.

No, ZFS support booting from dedicated disks. There's a zfsboot file that should be written upon disk first sector and ZFS reservation space to make it bootable.

The bad sides are:

1. Difficulties with boot code upgrading.
2. No swap.

--
Sphinx of black quartz, judge my vow.