On Saturday, June 7, 2003, at 09:36 PM, Josh Brooks wrote:
Hello,

Hi,

I have read the ssh man page and am not getting the results I think I should. some background:

serverA is the client

serverB is running sendmail on port 25

I want to telnet to serverA on port 34 and get a response from the sendmail daemon running on serverB.

I tried this:

ssh -L 34:serverB:25 [EMAIL PROTECTED]

^^^ seems to be what the man page instructs me to do ...

But when I run that command, it asks me for a password, and I log into serverB just like any other time I ssh there to log in.

So that's that - the above command line does nothing but log me into serverB. If I port scan serverA, nothing is running on port 34. So basically it's a total bust.

I am running this ssh command on serverA as root.

So what am i doing wrong ?

Take a look at http://soupnazi.org/freebsdzine/200104/tunnel.php for an article I wrote a few a years ago about this.

- jim

--
jim mock    [EMAIL PROTECTED]|opendarwin}.org    [EMAIL PROTECTED]|FreeBSD}.org
http://soupnazi.org    editor-in-chief, BSD News    http://bsdnews.org