On 2/10/2013 2:54 PM, Teske, Devin wrote:
It's not in ports only because I first wanted to see where jail.conf would take
us w/respect to vimages.

I see.

However, this package not being in ports shouldn't prevented you from trying it
-- it's extremely stable and as I mentioned, we've been using it heavily at
$work for over 12 months now. When you download the package (*.tgz) and pkg_add
it, it installs the following two files only:

/etc/rc.d/vimage
/etc/rc.conf.d/vimage

NOTE: The rc.conf.d file is the "documentation" on usage

If you haven't tried it, then I hope you will because I think the new jail.conf
stuff falls short. Don't get me wrong, jail.conf is a great start, but simply
adding the ability to manage the vnet aspect of a jail does not make a vimage
(what's missing is the built-in support for generating bridges as vimages are
brought up/down dynamically).

I feel that before I add this to ports I need to reprogram it to use jail.conf
(not directly). That will simplify its code and [should] make it smaller. I was
somewhat waiting on /etc/rc.d/jail to blaze the trail for me.

In short, the landscape has been changing fast enough that it's prevented me
from adding this to ports, but in spite of that it's still very much real _and_
real stable.

Yes, of course.

I will try it and report back to you my findings.

What I - nikos - really need from a script like yours is the ability
to generate arbitrarily complex topologies with interconnected vnet
jails. Something like:

Like a cut-down version of imunes[1] without the need of a graphical
user interface.

I understand that is not common case and that is why I was always using
ad hoc scripts.

But one can always hope(or write one himself/herself of course!).

1. http://web.archive.org/web/20120418053250/http://imunes.tel.fer.hr/imunes/

Thanks, Nikos