On 2/12/2013 11:31 AM, Mm Bsd wrote:

The Motorola Droid RAZR i (a variant
of the RAZR m) has an intel atom z2460 processor in it.

Unless I am mistaken, this is an amd64 compatible chip that
mainline FreeBSD could run on, yes ?

Without getting into the specifics of loading the system
(and using a touchscreen as input), would plain old amd64
FreeBSD run on this device ?

You would need a bootloader, since I doubt it uses UEFI an I'm not sure. None of the drivers are probably supported, so you'll probably need to write device drivers, everything from graphics to storage. By the time you're done and have something workable, it will be so out of date it will be a relic. Linux already supports a lot, and for embedded, because of Android, the chipset makers have to have working linux drivers to sell chips. Including getting the datasheets, it's outside the scope of an independent developer. Now if you're Google and you want to get rid of every vestige of GPL out of Android, it'll be ready to ship by the end of the year, on ARM and amd64.