On 2/27/2013 4:53 PM, Michael Ross wrote:
     On a multi-CPU machine using an SMP configured kernel, try values
between 6 and 10 and see how they speed things up.

But you also do need to consider memory usage. On the areas of buildworld that are CPU intensive, they can also be memory intensive. If the active processes need to get swapped out to disk, you can wipe out any performance gain. I've noticed this some with clang. I don't care that clang uses more memory, "compile once, run many", but be aware of it if you're benchmarking. The ram amount can also influence cache sizes, and you have a major difference in memory amounts.