On 02/28/13 03:02, Polytropon wrote:
On Wed, 27 Feb 2013 21:08:58 -0600, Joseph A. Nagy, Jr wrote:
Okay, I know I should pay more attention to what I'm doing, and having
separate partitions isn't an excuse for regular backups. If we can skip
the finger wagging on that part I'd appreciate it.

I've experienced similar and different "moments of unintended
successful rm", so I won't mention missing backups. ;-)

(:

Is there any way to retrieve any of them?

Yes, but it's not easy. Prepare to go on a journey though
file system documentation, trial & error.

Obviously we're talking about a USB stick, so no TB amount
of data has to be processed. First of all: Do _not_ alter
the USB stick in any way. No matter what you do, it can
always get worse.

Oh no, not a USB stick, I'm talking hdd partitions (4GiB on one, 64GiB on another) but it will be the same process. I'll see about investing in an external hard drive.

I've not wrote any data to
either partition since the accidental deletion.

Very good.

You can first make a copy of the file system (the whole
stick) and use that: It will be faster to access and if
you do something wrong, the original data (which we can
assume is still there) won't be affected:

        # dd if=/dev/da0 of=stick.dd

Now let me introduce you to the "list of helpful programs
in case you've done something ultimately stupid" which I
have already repeated several times on this mailing list.
I'm sure you can find some program that will help you.
See my individual notes regarding your specific situation.

I will "refactor" text from a previous message.

A worst-case tool to recover data (not file names, but file
content) is testdisk; in ports: sysutils/testdisk. It's also
on some diagnostics and recovery CDs like UBCD.

I've tried test disk but it doesn't have a UFS option for some reason.

You can also try this:

        # fetch -rR <device>

where would I fetch to?

Also recoverdisk could be useful.

also in /usr/ports/sysutils ?

The ports collection contains further programs that might be
worth investigating; just in case they haven't been mentioned
yet:

        ddrescue
        dd_rescue       <- use this to make an image of the stick!
        magicrescue
        testdisk        <- restores content
        recoverjpeg
        foremost
        photorec

Then also

        ffs2recov
        scan_ffs

should be mentioned.

And finally, the "cure to everything" is found in The Sleuth Kit
(in ports: tsk):

        fls
        dls
        ils
        autopsy

awesome

Keep in mind: Read the manpages before using the programs. It's
very important to do so. You need to know what you're dealing

the testdisk man page is very unhelpful. ):

with, or you'll probably fail. There is no magical tetroplyrodon
to click ^Z and get everything back. :-)

well, not so sure. Found a Windows program to recover deleted stuff on UFS, but I imagine it's harder touse then the above (and more expensive). I will definitely work on the above first.

Proprietary (and expensive) tools like "R-Studio" or "UFS Explorer"
can still be considered worth a try. Their trial versions are for
free. "UFS Explorer" even works using wine (I've tried it).

I have a frustrating history with wine but will give it a go (also, amd64 here, so who knows).

Note:

I've dealt with a comparable problem some months ago when
a "Windows" PC has "repaired" a FAT file system on a USB
stick, with the "excellent" result of all data being gone.
I could restore everything except the original file names
(which I wrote a script to "conclude" them from file metadata
and content).

So it should be possible.

Good luck!

Thanks a million, you've saved me a lot of money (hopefully!)

--
Yours in Christ,

Joseph A Nagy Jr
"Whoever loves instruction loves knowledge, But he who hates correction
is stupid." -- Proverbs 12:1
Original content CopyFree (F) under the OWL http://copyfree.org/licenses/owl/license.txt