> On Fri, Mar 1, 2013 at 11:49 AM, Julien Cigar <jci...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I'm looking for a small Soekris-like (http://soekris.com/) box which
>> support
>> FreeBSD, any experience or brand to advise .. ?
>
> I'm using Soekris net4801 boxes with FreeBSD without problems
> since many years as small routers with pf, dhcp, bind, lighttpd etc...
> Last version i've tested is 8.3. I didn't update to 9.X yet for no other
> reasons than lack of time to try it, and I don't know if clang supports
> Geode well enough so I can't say anything about -CURRENT. But save
> for this, Soekris boxes and FreeBSD are a great match.
>
>> Thank you,
>> Julien
>
> -cpghost.
>
> --
> Cordula's Web. http://www.cordula.ws/

Just food for thought: You could also use a cheap netbook for about the
same money as a new Soekris box. Unless you have minimalistic power
requirements and really need the Seokris' 12-15W vs a netbooks 40-50W
draw.

Advantages, at least compared to my Soekris net4801, are integrated
screen,keyboard and UPS and much better network throughput via ural(4) or
similar versus the built in sis(4) of the net4801. If power is a major
concern you can shut down the LCD assuming you can get APCI working
correctly.

--
ESP