On 02/04/2013 13:32, Ronald F. Guilmette wrote:

I've now installed mbmon and xmbmon and will be watching the CPU temp
closely for awhile.

I really wish that one or the other of those tools allowed setting a
threshold CPU temp, beyond which the tool would emit an ear piercing
alarm via the motherboard speaker... you know.. in case the regular
external stereo speakers are turned off.

It's been a while since I used it but conky is pretty customisable.

Worst case you have it run your own scripts that returns monitored values and performs whatever steps you want at the thresholds.