On Thu, 04 Apr 2013 07:47:09 -0500, Quartz <qua...@sneakertech.com> wrote:

I'd really like to
have this working cleanly on FreeBSD without requiring any funky shells

Define "funky shell". Does it have to be straight up plain sh? Can it use csh or tcsh syntax? Does bash count as 'funky'?

Any shells not in the FreeBSD base system, basically. I don't want this script to stop working because someone somehow broke bash or zsh and nobody noticed because nobody ever uses it.

or using any temporary files.

Do you mean "manually created temp files"? because some of the different ways of doing process substitution and redirection will automatically create temp files for you in the background and fail on an unwritable filesystem.

Yes, I mean manually created temp files. It looks pretty ugly to > /tmp/foo and read from it a line later :)