On Wednesday, April 24, 2013, Walter Hurry wrote:

> On Wed, 24 Apr 2013 18:05:04 +0200, Polytropon wrote:
>
> > The kernel's version message will only change if the _kernel_ has been
> > receiving changes. So, for example, if you update from 9.1 to 9.1-p2,
> > and _no_ change has been written to the kernel, it will still report
> > 9.1, even though the updates for -p2 have been applied to other places
> > (like system binaries or libraries).
> >
> > You can use the -r option to freebsd-update to explicitely specify a
> > version to update to. See "man freebsd-update" for details.
>
> Thanks for the reply, but I'm still confused.
> --------------------------------------
> # freebsd-update upgrade -r 9.1-RELEASE-p2
> Looking up update.FreeBSD.org mirrors... 3 mirrors found.
> Fetching metadata signature for 9.1-RELEASE from update5.freebsd.org...
> done.
> Fetching metadata index... done.
> Inspecting system... done.
>
> The following components of FreeBSD seem to be installed:
> kernel/generic src/src world/base world/lib32
>
> The following components of FreeBSD do not seem to be installed:
> world/doc world/games
>
> Does this look reasonable (y/n)? y
>
> Fetching metadata signature for 9.1-RELEASE-p2 from
> update5.freebsd.org... failed.
> Fetching metadata signature for 9.1-RELEASE-p2 from
> update4.freebsd.org... failed.
> Fetching metadata signature for 9.1-RELEASE-p2 from
> update3.freebsd.org... failed.
> No mirrors remaining, giving up
> --------------------------------------
>
> Where am I going wrong?
>

> Hi Walter,

Freebsd-update tool apply binary patches to your -RELEASE system and
GENERIC kernel.
Furthermore, sources are synced too (/usr/src) by default.
If you want to see the -p# increased, you have to recompile your
GENERIC kernel.
If you are using a custom kernel, you must recompile it to apply patches as
your sources are up-to-date. You will have the -p# increased too.

Kind regards,
Alexandre