Ronald F. Guilmette writes:

>  I bought one of these things awhile ago:
>

> http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004LXJXSW/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

        I believe I have a similar object, only a) external (eSATA), b)
from a different manufacturer, and c) connected to a -CURRENT
system.  I use it as a backup device.

>  I just now tried to read up a little bit on all of this ACPI
>  stuff, but my eyes are starting to glaze over.  So if someone
>  would answer these simple and obvious questions, I'd appreciate
>  it:
>
>  1) Given a system running FreeBSD 9.1-RELEASE, is anything bad
>  gonna happen if I insert a drive into this thing while the system
>  is running?  Will I be able to mount partitions contained on the
>  drive in question after I do so?

        That works for me.  I need to re-scan the ata channel using
"atacontrol" but once that happens it's fine.

>  2) Given a system running FreeBSD 9.1-RELEASE, is anything bad
>  gonna happen if I remove a drive from this thing while the system
>  is running, assuming that I have already properly umounted all
>  relevant partitions first?

        Nothing bad happened to me.

>  3) Assuming that I want to do this stuff, what BIOS options
>  should I be setting or unsetting on the motherboard?

        I am unable to check the BIOS settings on that MB (which may be
ASrock as well), but I don't believe I had to do anything other hand
make sure eSATA was enabled.

>  Please excuse my ignorance, but I've never done this stuff
>  before.

        I remember the nerves when I tried this.
        You should be fine,

                                Robert Huff