On May 14, 2013, at 10:18 PM, Da Rock
<freebsd-questi...@herveybayaustralia.com.au> wrote:

> I'm a big fan of _not_ having to subscribe to a list to get a quick hand with
> a one off problem (obviously not this one!)- otherwise too many lists get
> subscribed to, oodles of messages come in which you can't do anything about
> and so forth (so its not simply just a matter of subscribe, unsubscribe as
> noted). Unfortunately, many see it as a spam filter and thereby abuse it. How
> often do you need help with an issue with libreoffice, mozilla whatever, or
> other application? And yet subscription is compulsory and a ton of messages
> (devs convs mostly) come flooding in within minutes.

        Other lists I have been on had both a list and a forum that accessed
the same content. While I see that FreeBSD has both, I do not think they share
content. A forum gateway to the list would permit folks to sign up for the
forum and NOT get a ton of email. If the forum were publicly readable that
would also provide a way to look through (if not search) the archives.

        I am not trying to make work for people, just suggesting another way to
address the competing issues of SPAM reduction and ease of access.

--
Paul Kraus
Deputy Technical Director, LoneStarCon 3