On Thu, 23 May 2013, saeedeh motlagh wrote:

hello every body

i have a question about fixing file corruption in freebsd.

now i have freebsd8.2 and some times file corruption happened on it. this
issue has a heavy cost for me and i want to avoid it or fixit it
completely. so my question is:

is it better to upgrade my freebsd to 9.1 and use soft update or migrate
from UFS to ZFS?

That's a judgement call, which means "it depends".

i heard so much about soft update -that is added in freebsd9.1-  which can
fix file corruption in acceptable way with low cost but i don't know how
much is reliable and efficient.

Several things:

Soft updates have been around for quite a while.
Soft updates journaling is the new addition.
Neither of these address file corruption. Their purpose is to make sure the filesystem does not get corrupted, but individual files could still contain bad data.

in the other hand, i think migration from UFS to ZFS can be another
solution. as i read ZFS is is created to solve all the problems related
integrity file system. is it reliable enough in comparison soft-update?

now, i want to know which solution is better and why?

Again, it depends. Does the target system have enough RAM for ZFS? If the file corruption is due to a hardware problem or an application writing bad data, no filesystem can prevent that.