On Tue, 28 May 2013 12:57+0430, s m wrote:

> hello all,
>
> i want to install freebsd8.2 with different partitions. i want to have
> a separated partition for /etc. therefore this is my partitions: / ,
> /var, /etc. /tmp, /usr, swap.
>
> but after installing, freebsd can not run correctly and have problem
> with fstab. i checked my fstab file (fstab file in /etc partition) and
> every thing is ok. i think i should do something in order to use fstab
> file in different mount point. is it true? what should i do to have a
> freebsd with a separate /etc mount point?
>
> any comments are appreciated.
> SAM

If you really want to keep /etc as a separate filesystem, then I would
try something like this:

1. Create the file /etc-mount and give it the following contents:

#!/bin/sh
/sbin/mount /dev/ada0pX /etc
exec /etc/rc $*

2. Make sure to substitute the right device file for the mount
command.

2. Make /etc-mount executable: chmod a+x /etc-mount

3. On the root filesystem, let /etc/rc be a symlink to /etc-mount.

This is just off the top of my head. It may work, or it may not work.

HTH.

--
| Vennlig hilsen,               | Best regards,                      |