On May 31, 2013, at 1:48 AM, Pietro Paolini wrote:

On May 30, 2013, at 6:25 PM, "Teske, Devin"
<devin.te...@fisglobal.com<mailto:devin.te...@fisglobal.com>> wrote:

On May 30, 2013, at 3:35 AM, Pietro Paolini wrote:

Hello all,

I am a new bye on the FreeBSD and I am looking at the VIMAGE features
experiencing some problems.
I added the options :
VIMAGE
if_bridge

and I removed
STCP

then I recompiled my kernel and install it.

After that, following this tutorial
http://imunes.tel.fer.hr/virtnet/eurobsdcon07_tutorial.pdf I tried the
"Exercise 2" which consist on
the following commands:

vimage -c n1
vimage -c n2
ngctl mkpeer efface ether ether
ngctl mkpeer efface ether ether

Don't you just love autocorrect? (does the same thing to me… turns "eiface"
into "efface")

ngctl mkpeer em0: bridge lower link0

Looks good.

ngctl name em0:lower bridge0

I usually do my "connect" before the "name"… but shouldn't matter. Should work
all the same.

ngctl connect em0: bridge0: upper link1

This looks wrong to me.

I'd expect:

ngctl connect em0: bridge0:lower upper link1

Many thanks for the answer Devin,
when I try to use that last command I receive:

ngctl connect em0: bridge0:lower upper link1
ngctl: send msg: Invalid argument

What's wrong ?

Let's start from scratch on a freshly booted box…

dte...@scu0a.jbsd.vicor.com<mailto:dte...@scu0a.jbsd.vicor.com> ~ $ sudo ngctl
ls -l
[sudo] Password:
There are 4 total nodes:
  Name: em0             Type: ether           ID: 00000002   Num hooks: 0
  Name: em1             Type: ether           ID: 00000003   Num hooks: 0
  Name: ngctl1719       Type: socket          ID: 00000004   Num hooks: 0
  Name: msk0            Type: ether           ID: 00000001   Num hooks: 0

Ok… we have an "ether" type node for each of our physical adapters (these are
provided by ng_ether(4); you didn't have to do anything to get these nodes).

We also have a single "socket" type node. This is the "ngctl" connection to the
netgraph subsystem (you can learn more by reading ng_socket(4)).

Here's the corresponding hardware behind em0, em1, and msk0:

===

dte...@scu0a.jbsd.vicor.com<mailto:dte...@scu0a.jbsd.vicor.com> ~ $ grep
'\(em\|e1000phy\|mskc\?\)[[:digit:]]' /var/run/dmesg.boot
mskc0: <Marvell Yukon 88E8050 Gigabit Ethernet> port 0xdc00-0xdcff mem
0xfcffc000-0xfcffffff irq 16 at device 0.0 on pci5
msk0: <Marvell Technology Group Ltd. Yukon EC Id 0xb6 Rev 0x02> on mskc0
msk0: Ethernet address: xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
miibus0: <MII bus> on msk0
e1000phy0: <Marvell 88E1111 Gigabit PHY> PHY 0 on miibus0
e1000phy0:  none, 10baseT, 10baseT-FDX, 100baseTX, 100baseTX-FDX, 1000baseT,
1000baseT-master, 1000baseT-FDX, 1000baseT-FDX-master, auto
mskc0: [ITHREAD]
em0: <Intel(R) PRO/1000 Legacy Network Connection 1.0.3> port 0xec80-0xecbf mem
0xfebe0000-0xfebfffff irq 16 at device 4.0 on pci7
em0: [FILTER]
em0: Ethernet address: xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
em1: <Intel(R) PRO/1000 Legacy Network Connection 1.0.3> port 0xec00-0xec3f mem
0xfeba0000-0xfebbffff,0xfeb80000-0xfeb9ffff irq 18 at device 6.0 on pci7
em1: [FILTER]
em1: Ethernet address: xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
em0: link state changed to UP

===

Next, let's make a bridge (think of it as a big software switch that we're
going to hook a bunch of interfaces; created, physical, or otherwise).

Since I'm doing this over an SSH connection (a mistake I made earlier today),
I'm not going to touch em0 (the adapter my SSH connection is using). Creating
the bridge on an actively configured PHY will knock it off the net. This is not
to say you can't have an active configuration on a bridged interface… just that
the creation of the bridge (something you should only do once each time you
boot) will disrupt an active connection.

So…

dte...@scu0a.jbsd.vicor.com<mailto:dte...@scu0a.jbsd.vicor.com> ~ $ sudo ngctl
mkpeer em1: bridge lower link0

NOTE: No output == Success.

===

Now let's look at our handiwork…

dte...@scu0a.jbsd.vicor.com<mailto:dte...@scu0a.jbsd.vicor.com> ~ $ sudo ngctl
info em1:lower
  Name: <unnamed>       Type: bridge          ID: 00000007   Num hooks: 1
  Local hook      Peer name       Peer type    Peer ID         Peer hook
  link0           em1             ether        00000003        lower

Ok, we see that the lower peer hook of the em1 ether-node goes off to something
named "link0".

To see where link0 is off-to… we need a full listing (back to "ngctl ls -l").

dte...@scu0a.jbsd.vicor.com<mailto:dte...@scu0a.jbsd.vicor.com> ~ $ sudo ngctl
ls -l
There are 5 total nodes: