Hi Gary,

On Tue, Jun 10, 2003 at 05:30:12PM -0700, Gary Schenk wrote:
> Actually, I haven't had to make any changes in UserConfig since changing
> it the first time. The edit is always there.

[...snippage...]

> Here is dmesg after booting without UserConfig:
>
> Copyright (c) 1992-2002 The FreeBSD Project.
> Copyright (c) 1979, 1980, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994
>       The Regents of the University of California. All rights reserved.
> FreeBSD 4.7-RELEASE #6: Mon Jun  9 16:47:15 PDT 2003
>     [EMAIL PROTECTED]:/usr/src/sys/compile/FUZZ
> Timecounter "i8254"  frequency 1193182 Hz
> CPU: Pentium III/Pentium III Xeon/Celeron (598.48-MHz 686-class CPU)
>   Origin = "GenuineIntel"  Id = 0x681  Stepping = 1
>
> Features=0x383f9ff<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,MMX,FXSR,SSE>
> real memory  = 134205440 (131060K bytes)
> config> di atkbd0
> config> di sn0
> config> di lnc0
> config> di ie0
> config> di fe0
> config> di cs0
> config> q

OK, I'm still a little confused as to exactly how we got here, but I think
I'm starting to see what's going on :-)  That 'di atkbd0' line above is,
erm, disabling the keyboard driver, so you can see below that the keyboard
controller is detected but no keyboard is actually being configured:

[...snippage...]
> atkbdc0: <Keyboard controller (i8042)> at port 0x60,0x64 on isa0

The 'di atkbd0' was probably added through UserConfig.  You should be able
to remove it with 'en atkbd0' in UserConfig or by just deleting the 'di
atkbd0' line from /boot/kernel.conf.

What happens when you make this change?  I'd expect the keyboard to start
working, but I'm not sure there isn't something else strange going on here.

> It does not look like that it is seeing the keyboard. Doesn't the 0x01
> flag force keyboard detection?

I think 0x1 means 'look for a keyboard' rather than just assuming one is
there.

> 4.7-RELEASE. The thought of upgrading terrifies me. I can't even figure
> out how to switch keyboards! :-)
>
> I'm waiting for 5.1-RELEASE to be available on CD.
> Gary

Source upgrades (with cvsup) are not as bad as you'd expect, although the
first one is pretty scary :-)  It's very cool seeing your whole system
rebuild itself from source.  The handbook covers the whole process in great
detail.

5.1 is a great improvement on 5.0, but it'll still have a few rough edges.
I'd be cautious running it on my only machine, or one I couldn't live
without if something horrible did happen.

Cheers,

        Scott