2013. június 18. 19:49 napon Michael Sierchio <ku...@tenebras.com> írta:

> On Tue, Jun 18, 2013 at 10:44 AM, Istvan Gabor <suseuse...@lajt.hu> wrote:
> > How can I do this in FreeBSD?
> > Can I have slices with only one partition occupying the whole slice?
> >
> > Can I do something like the following:
> >
> > /dev/ad0s1a /
> > /dev/ad0s2e /home
> > /dev/ad0s3e /usr/local
> > /dev/ad0s5b swap
> > /dev/ad0s6e /home/user1
> > /dev/ad0s7e /home/user2
> > etc.
> >
> > where the partitions (a, e, b) occupy the whole slice where they reside on?

Thanks, but I don't understand your answer.
I am puzzled a little bit. My understanding based on the FreeBSD handbook is
that
slices in FreeBSD are the partitions in linux. And that on one slice (linux
partition)
FreeBSD  has (or can have?) several partitions. These are labeled as letters: a
for root
partition, b for swap, c for the whole slice, and e for a regular non-root
partition.

> Why bother with partitions if you're going to use the whole slice?
Are you saying that one can use/mount a whole slice without adding partitions
to it?
For example /dev/ada0s1 could be the root partition?

> Why bother with slices if you won't run out of partitions?
Do you mean putting all partitions on one big slice?
I would like to be able to mount different partitions independently from other
OS,
eg. from linux. As far as I know linux cannot mount FreeBSD partitions, only
the whole slice.
If one slice has several partitions, one single partition can not be mounted
from linux.

Could you please confirm if my understanding is correct, or explain a little
bit more detailed
what you meant?

Thanks,

Istvan