On Wed, 3 Jul 2013 18:07:11 +0700, Olivier Nicole wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 3, 2013 at 6:03 PM, Polytropon <free...@edvax.de> wrote:
> > On Wed, 3 Jul 2013 11:47:16 +0100 (BST), Anton Shterenlikht wrote:
> >> [...]
> >> Obviously xterm does not depend on xorg-server.
> >
> > But one of its dependencies might.
>
> That make no sense, xterm may (and certainly does) depend on the same
> libraries as the X server, but there is no way xterm depends on X
> server itself.

That's what I would imagine too. But who knows what's
going on in the strange realm of build dependencies
and run dependencies... :-)

> I can manually remove X server and the fonts and xclac... and the
> system is still running very well (and updating without trying to
> reinstall X server...)

That should even work without a warning (as the libs for xterm
would be kept, and those required by the X server _only_ could
safely be removed).

In case such a procedure is needed more often, a local patch
could be added to the respective port that would remove the
unneeded parts in the post-install phase.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany