On 6 Jul 2013, at 21:34, Martin Alejandro Paredes Sanchez
<mapsw...@prodigy.net.mx> wrote:

> On Saturday 06 July 2013 01:55:31 Andrea Venturoli wrote:
>>>
>>> Did you do them in that order, or did you do the smb (slow) one first?
>>>
>>> If the slow was first, I'm thinking caching on the server could be a
>>> major factor.
>>
>> Yesterday I did four test:
>> _ SMB find resulting in over 10 minutes first time;
>> _ SMB find resulting in nearly 10 minutes second time;
>> _ NFS find resulting in a little over 1 minute first time;
>> _ NFS find resulting in a little less than 1 minute second time.
>>

>> Today I tried again in reverse order:
>> _ NFS find took 3 minutes;
>> _ NFS find again took 21 seconds;
>> _ SMB find took over 9 minutes;
>> _ SMB find again took again over 9 minutes.
>>
>> So, while caching plays a role, it just isn't it.
>> The server was possibly doing other things, so the above figures might
>> not be that correct; however a difference in the magnitude order is just
>> too big (and deterministic) to be considered random noise.
>
> the problem may be high log level for Samba
>
> You should read this
>
> http://www.hob-techtalk.com/2009/03/09/nfs-vs-cifs-aka-smb

Wow wow wow, their numbers with SMB seem super low.

They claim to get 80Mb/s NFS vs 7Mb SMB.

I'm getting 80-100Mbs with samba here with a core i3, 4gb of RAM and a 12tb
raidz2 pool on GREEN drives, which are definitely not server grade (replacing
them with WD reds, btw).