That did it! Looks good now. The 10.0 installation completed ... but I forgot to umount the iso image, so the installation was offered again. I 'forcibly' unmounted the iso image, as Virtual Box put it, and booted again. Looks good. Thanks ! No I'll try to add X and some ports.

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: WAS : NVIDIA GeForce 6100/nForce 430 chipset NOW : installation in Vbox repeats endlessly
Date:   Mon, 15 Jul 2013 19:10:33 +0700
From:   john francis lee <j...@robinlea.com>
To:     questi...@freebsd.org

           2.2.1.2. FreeBSD/amd64

   There are two classes of processors capable of running
   FreeBSD/amd64. The first are AMD64 processors, including the
   AMD Athlon™64, AMD Athlon™64-FX, AMD Opteron™ or better processors.

   The second class of processors that can use FreeBSD/amd64 includes
   those using the Intel® EM64T architecture. Examples of these
   processors include the Intel® Core™ 2 Duo, Quad, Extreme processor
   families, the Intel® Xeon™ 3000, 5000, and 7000 sequences of
   processors, and the Intel® Core™ i3, i5 and i7 processors.

   /If you have a machine based on an nVidia nForce3 Pro-150, you
   ///must///use the BIOS setup to disable the IO APIC. If you do not
   have an option to do this, you will likely have to disable ACPI
   instead. There are bugs in the Pro-150 chipset for which we have not
   yet found a workaround./

I have a gigabyte GA-M61PME-52P mother board with an NVIDIA GeForce 6100/nForce 430 chipset.

Is that OK? Thanks.

Answer : It seems to be OK. I downloaded the release 10 memstick image, put it on a memstick, booted from, ran it as a live cd and it worked OK. I looked at the messages and there were no complaints about ACPI. There was a WARNING : WITNESS option enabled, expect reduced performance. Don't know what that meant.

So I downloaded a 9.1 iso and ... actually I had one I'd downloaded in March, i386, and tried to install that in a Virtual box under ubuntu. The installation seemed OK ... but I looked up and it was rebooting. It ran the installation again and I watched ... to see it drop out at the 3rd screen with a % of files installed.

I'll try and download the 10.0 iso image, since it worked from the memstick.

--
john francis lee
246/3 Moo 22