On Wed, 17 Jul 2013 15:38:53 +0200, Elimar Riesebieter wrote:
> * Anton Shterenlikht <me...@bris.ac.uk> [2013-07-17 13:14 +0100]:
>
> > I tried, in tcsh:
> >
> > % setenv |grep FR
> > XTERM_LOCALE=fr_FR.ISO8859-1
> > LC_CTYPE=fr_FR.ISO8859-1
> >
> > but the accented French characters are corrupted, e.g. in
> > /usr/ports/french/aster/pkg-descr.
> >
> > I built xterm with
> >
> > % make -C /usr/ports/x11/xterm showconfig
> > ===> The following configuration options are available for xterm-296:
> >      256COLOR=on: Enable 256-color support
> >      DABBREV=off: Enable support for dabbrev-expand
> >      DECTERM=off: Enable DECterm Locator support
> >      GNOME=off: GNOME desktop environment support
> >      LUIT=on: Use LUIT for locale convertion from/to UTF-8
> >      PCRE=on: Use Perl Compatible Regular Expressions
> >      SIXEL=on: Enable Sixel graphics support
> >      WCHAR=on: Enable wide-character support
> > ===> Use 'make config' to modify these settings
> >
> > I usually can read russian with either
> > ru_RU.KOI8-R or en_US.UTF-8 in xterm, so I think
> > the xterm is set up correctly to view 8-bit characters.
>
> Doesn't fr_FR.UTF8 work?

That probably won't matter. The characters in that file are
normal 1-byte characters (ISO), not 2-byte ones (UTF-8).
I have built xterm with no special options and can see
them properly.

For comparison:

% echo $XTERM_LOCALE
en_US.ISO8859-1

% echo $LC_CTYPE
de_DE.ISO8859-1

% make -C /usr/ports/x11/xterm showconfig
===> The following configuration options are available for xterm-282:
     DABBREV=off: Enable support for dabbrev-expand
     DECTERM=off: Enable DECterm Locator support
     GNOME=off: GNOME desktop environment support
     LUIT=on: Use LUIT for locale convertion from/to UTF-8
     PCRE=off: Use Perl Compatible Regular Expressions
     WCHAR=on: Enable wide-character support
===> Use 'make config' to modify these settings

I assume you have all neccessary _fonts_ installed?

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany