On Sun, 28 Jul 2013, Polytropon wrote:

On Sun, 28 Jul 2013 08:18:39 -0600 (MDT), Warren Block wrote:
On Sun, 28 Jul 2013, Polytropon wrote:
On Sat, 27 Jul 2013 19:39:30 +0200 (CEST), Conny Andersson wrote:

A very important question is if sysinstall's option "Install the FreeBSD
Boot Manager" detects that I have a FreeBSD 8.3 and detect it as slice 2 on
disk 1?

I'm not sure I'm following you correctly. The sysinstall program
is considered obsolete, the new system installer is bsdinstall.

AFAIK, sysinstall is still used in FreeBSD 8.X, and bsdinstall does not
have a boot manager option anyway.

Sometimes I'm confusing them, because I usually don't use the
installer and usually use fdisk (if needed), bsdlabel and
newfs. :-)

gpart does a lot more than both fdisk and bsdlabel, and is easier to use. :)

So it becomes a boot option when I am rebooting? (Maybe the slice
may come up as ad6s2, because AHCI in FreeBSD 8.4 isn't enabled at the time
of the install.)

Sorry, I don't understand this at all.  AHCI should not be involved with
identifying slices.

Maybe the required device driver is not part of the 8.x
GENERIC kernel? So for example a drive could come up either
as /dev/ada0 or as /dev/ad6, depending on how the recognition
order and PATA / SATA thing is handled by the system and
its BIOS.

Really, it should always be ada, unless someone has built a custom kernel that intentionally uses the old form. That's usually a mistake.
(AHCI is a separate, unrelated thing.)

Labels will work independently from wheather the device will be recognized as ATA disk (for example /dev/ad6s1a being the root disk) or SATA disk (where /dev/ada6s1 would be the root disk).

Yes. Labels don't care about the hardware connection. So they'll continue to work when you take a drive out of a machine and put it in a USB enclosure, for example.