On 08/04/13 17:22, Gary Aitken wrote:
> Ok, so now I see that my cpu temperature shoots up pretty dang fast when a
> build is going on.
>
> I'm running an AMD Phenom II X4 with the AMD-supplied fan in an
> ASUS M4A89TD PRO / USB3 motherboard.
>
> The system "works fine" unless I start a cpu-intensive build.
> If I leave it unattended, after some time the system shuts down abruptly.
> I'm guessing it's because of excessive cpu temperatures.
>
> When doing port builds, or any cpu-intensive job, the temperature of the
> CPU goes from 45 to 50 in about 30 seconds.
>
> I pretty much have to manually suspend and resume the build process
> to keep it down.  If I do that, I avoid the abrupt shutdown.
>
> Needless to say, this makes unattended operation a non-starter...
>
> Does anyone else have a similar setup they can provide me some related
> experience on?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Gary

Thanks, all, for the replies and insights.
Just a followup:

The factory heatsink was basically incapable of keeping the temp down under
a heavy-processing port build, and BIOS was shutting down when the temp
eventually climbed too high.  xmbmon was my friend for tracking this; using
<ctl>s and <ctl>q on the output stream of the build effectively suspended it
when it got around 60C so I could wait until the processor cooled down enough
to continue.  Doing a sync every second or so also postponed the eventual
overheating for a while, but eventually it would creep up to the shutdown
point.

Replacing the heatsink with a gonzo big one seems to have solved the problem.

As an aside, this is probably what also made me think some time ago that my
SSD was flaky.  Things just ran faster so the cpu overheated sooner.