I use for my day to day work teTeX, but I run more and more into
several limitations due to the fact, teTeX isn't any more (and
regretably) maintained/developed by Th. Esser (that is what I know).

Well, TeXlive is now in the ports tree, but I had recently on a server,
on which I tried to migrate, massive problems with the most recent
CURRENT, where gcc is completely gone (luckily) and converters/iconv
has been removed. I can not clearly say what causes the problems, since
there seem to be remains of teTeX in the system, but they are needed
for some essential facilities and I do not dare ripping them off.

Before I start time consuming experiments, I'd like to ask whether
there is a smooth way of migration. And for that, please enlighten me
how I can extract those ports installed and needed by teTeX (a kind of
port-traceback of required ports) and delete them, as far as they do
not share common  "being required by xxx port", too.

Please CC me, I'm not subscribing this list.

Regards and thanks,
Oliver Hartmann