On Fri, Sep 27, 2013 at 4:11 PM, Frank Leonhardt <fra...@fjl.co.uk> wrote:
> On 27/09/2013 23:08, Terje Elde wrote:
>>
>> On 28. sep. 2013, at 00:03, Frank Leonhardt <fra...@fjl.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> If I understand the way it works correctly, the resolver pulls a list of
>>> the NS and hard-sets the port number for each to 53 (via a manifest
>>> constant) . See libc/resolv/res_init.c. All you need to do(!) is change this
>>> to a value of your choice and recompile libc
>>
>> Sorry, but this is startin to look a lot like a complicated solution to a
>> problem that isn't really there...
>>
> It was more of an explanation as to /why/ it's not easy to do what asked in
> the original reasonable-sounding question.

Beg to differ.  The question isn't reasonable.  There's no point in
having a dns recursive resolver listening on a port other than the one
that clients will contact it on.

Far better to have the authoritative server listen on 127.53.0.1 and
use the routable address for the cache, which can forward requests for
the authoritative server when appropriate.

- M