On 10/04/2013 1:36 am, Doug Hardie wrote:
On 3 October 2013, at 11:48, Doug Hardie <bc...@lafn.org> wrote:

On 3 October 2013, at 10:49, Doug Hardie <bc...@lafn.org> wrote:

I just did an upgrade using freebsd-update to 9.2. This system uses a custom kernel so I am rebuilding everything after the update completed. However, I noticed that /usr/src/UPDATING has not been updated. The first entry still says: 9.1-RELEASE. Is this correct?

Well, it just got worse - The last reboot now fails: I am using a remote console and it shows:

--> Press a key on the console to reboot <--
Rebooting...
Consoles: internal video/keyboard  serial port
BIOS drive A: is disk0
BIOS drive C: is disk1
BIOS 639kB/2087360kB available memory

FreeBSD/x86 bootstrap loader, Revision 1.1
(d...@zool.lafn.org, Thu Oct  3 04:23:13 PDT 2013)
Can't work out which disk we are booting from.
Guessed BIOS device 0xffffffff not found by probes, defaulting to disk0:

panic: free: guard1 fail @ 0x7f481ed0 from /usr/src/sys/boot/i386/loader/../../common/module.c:1004
--> Press a key on the console to reboot <--

I can enter a string as it doesn't try to reboot again till the return is entered. I've tried b disk1, but it still only tries disk0. The system rebooted fine after the reboot after make kernel. Mergemaster didn't seem to affect anything dealing with boot. Don't know what make delete-old does but the descriptions lead me to not believe it could cause this. This system is on the other side of LA from me so its a major trip timewise. Any ideas how this can be recovered remotely?

Booting off the live CD didn't find anything obviously wrong.  I
replaced the kernel with the old one and still the same error.  I am
having the drive mailed to me and will work with it here.  However, it
appears a new install is going to be required.  The old sysinstall had
the capability to skip over the formatting of the disk by just
entering quit.  It would then just replace the system components and
leave everything else alone.  I don't see any obvious way to do the
same thing with bsdinstall.  Is there a way to do that.  I don't want
to have to completely rebuild the drive, but just replace the system.

Just want to clarify the steps that started this

if I read everything right:

Step 1:  freebsd-update from 9.1 to 9.2
Step 2: compile from source ? Was this world, or just the custom kernel??
Step 3:  make delete-old
Step 4:  mergemaster
Step 5:  reboot
oops, something went wrong..

If my suspicions are correct, the source was still 9.1 patch 7, but the system was running 9.2 from the binary update. This may have caused the make delete-old to delete things it shouldn't have

The very first thing I would do is bring the disk up in another system and make a backup copy of the data.

I have never tried this process, I am basically just taking the steps I use for updating a zfs system using boot environments, and applying them in order to build a new kernel and world to an alternate directory, as a method of recovering the system.

The next step I would take is to then mount the file systems in an alternate location, /mnt for example

make MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX /mnt/usr/obj
make DESTDIR /mnt
cd /mnt/usr/src
rm -r * .svn
rm -r /usr/obj/*
svn co https://svn0.us-west.freebsd.org/base/releng/9.2
make buildwolrd
make buildkernel
make installkernel
make installworld
make -DBATCH_DELETE_OLD_FILES delete-old
make -DBATCH_DELETE_OLD_FILES delete-old-libs
mergemaster -Ui /mnt/usr/src -D /mnt

With some luck the file system will now contain a boot-able FreeBSD install, that will still have all the settings in place, except it will be the generic kernel. You should then just be able to build and install the custom kernel, from the booted system as you normally would.

--
Thanks,
   Dean E. Weimer