On Fri, 13 Jun 2003, Steve Coile wrote:

> On Fri, 13 Jun 2003, Bill Moran wrote:
> [...]
> > Depends on the component and how the previous admin handled things.  Most
> > FreeBSD users use the ports/package system to add/remove programs.  The
> > docs are very good:
> > http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/ports.html
> >
> > However, some parts of FreeBSD are part of "distribution sets" (such as
> > man pages, source and ports tree)  I don't know of any automated way to
> > remove these from the system.
>
> I guess that's my point.  FreeBSD is pretty big, even without the ports.
> My administration philosophy is "minimal function set": only install what
> will be used.  I'd like a clean way to remove a component--for instance
> development tools, or X, or printing support--from the system without
> breaking any dependencies.

You do have the choice of whether or not to install such components unless
you choose the automated full install option.  Select minimal install and
add anything you find you need from ports or packages as you go along, and
they can always be removed with "make deinstall" or "pkg_delete" if you
find you don't need or want them.

Cheers,

Viktor