peter lageotakes wrote:
Hello all,

I was just doing some double checking through some of
the CVS doc's and I noticed that there are 2 tags for
FreeBSD 4.8: IE RELENG_4_8 vs. RELENG_4_8_0_RELEASE.

Is there any difference between those two tags?

RELENG_4_8_0_RELEASE is 4.8-RELEASE. It is the version that the CDs were burned from. It will never change RELENG_4_8 is the "security branch". It's extremely conservative, more so than RELENG_4 (i.e. -STABLE). Only security fixes and major bug fixes are comitted to this branch.

At this time, I don't know of any security issues that have been found in 4.8-
RELEASE, so RELENG_4_8 and RELENG_4_8_0_RELEASE are identical at this time.
However, when/if security bugs are found in 4.8-RELEASE, RELENG_4_8 will be
patched, but RELENG_4_8_0_RELEASE will never change.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies