[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
On Tue, 17 Jun 2003, Bill Moran wrote:

        I think that the NIC is on the logic board.  I can try to install
a PCI card and use that in its place to see if the problem goes away.
Should I bother?

I would. There are two possibilities that I would consider here: a) The NIC has gone flaky with age b) Newer drivers don't talk to that particular NIC as well as the old

Another possibility that bites me in the ass when I'm not looking is link-level problems. Occasionally I've had weird issues that were resolved by replacing a switch or patch cable, or by moving to a different port on a switch. As usual ... just throwing ideas at you.

Never helped for me either.  You may want to check, but in my experience
the output of 'netstat -m' will also tell you that you have plenty of
network buffers available.

bash-2.05b$ netstat -m
144/768/26624 mbufs in use (current/peak/max):
        139 mbufs allocated to data
        5 mbufs allocated to packet headers
138/572/6656 mbuf clusters in use (current/peak/max)
1336 Kbytes allocated to network (6% of mb_map in use)
0 requests for memory denied
0 requests for memory delayed
0 calls to protocol drain routines

        That was durring normal operation.  The following are at the tail
end of one of the outages:

bash-2.05b$ netstat -m
477/768/26624 mbufs in use (current/peak/max):
        386 mbufs allocated to data
        91 mbufs allocated to packet headers
384/572/6656 mbuf clusters in use (current/peak/max)
1336 Kbytes allocated to network (6% of mb_map in use)
0 requests for memory denied
0 requests for memory delayed
0 calls to protocol drain routines

<snip additional netstat -m output>

144/768/26624 mbufs in use (current/peak/max):
        139 mbufs allocated to data
        5 mbufs allocated to packet headers
136/572/6656 mbuf clusters in use (current/peak/max)
1336 Kbytes allocated to network (6% of mb_map in use)
0 requests for memory denied
0 requests for memory delayed
0 calls to protocol drain routines

        It looks like something is causing it to pile up packets in the
buffers temporarily.  Any thoughts?  In the mean time, I will see if I can
dig up a PCI ethernet card.

Yes, but it doesn't look like the pile is deep enough that it should have run out of buffer space.

This one is a bit of a shot in the dark, but try using rndcontrol to increase
the entropy collection.  I'm not sure why I think this might help, but I have
some vague memory of it helping somewhere.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies