Bryan W. Maxwell wrote:
Im trying to set up my home system as 192.168.2.0,

192.168.2.0 is not a valid IP address. The last number must be somewhere between 1 and 254 (inclusive).

but somehow the local loop lo0 is still on 127.0.0.1.

The loopback address is always 127.0.0.1. It's not supposed to change. lo0 is "virtual" network adapter that always points back to itself, hence the name "loopback". That IP is reserved specifically for that purpose.

How can i set up my local network to be the other address.

Configure your actual network adapter. Do you have an ethernet card? If so, look at the output of 'ifconfig'. The adapter that mentions "Ethernet" in the media line is the driver you want to config.

Also when setting up a serial line connection, how can I tell both sides are pinging. I can ping one side, but the other gives me a sendto:Network dropped connection on reset. The commands im using are
slattach -h -l -n -s /dev/cuaa0 ifconfig sl0 192.168.2.2 192.168.2.3 up

I don't have a terribly educated answer to this, except point-to-point adapters never seem able to ping both ends. That's normal. If you can ping the far end from this machine and this machine from the far end, then you're in good shape. You may have to manually add a route for sl0. Check the output of 'netstat -rn' to see if there's a route, and add it with 'route add' if not.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies