Forrest Aldrich wrote:
[ ... ]
In a mail gateway configuration, several people have suggested that using a tmpfs (or mfs, depending upon your flavor of Unix) would provide a performance increase (i/o). Though someone argued (on a list posting) that the buffering on normal disk operation would probably be better.

I'm not sure about "better", but certainly "safer". What happens to spooled mail on a tmpfs/mfs filesystem when the system goes down?

Anyway, most mail servers are limited by network bandwidth, not by local I/O performance. If you're not talking about hundreds of thousands of messages per day, you probably don't need to worry about performance tuning this aspect.

--
-Chuck