[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
Hi!

I'm having problems installing FreeBSD 4.8. After the Kernel configuration page, the system hangs with these messages:

ad0: [the-name-of-my-hd] at ata0 -master BIOSDMA
ad1: READ command timeout tag=0 serv=0 -resetting

ata0: resetting devices

And that's it. The machine just sits there like a dog that's been shown a card trick.

I have succesfully installed FreeBSD by disconnecting the master and setting the slave as master, but I would like to use them both.

Please provide hardware details. It's likely that those two drives won't work on the same controller. I've heard rumors of older drives not playing nice with newer drives on the same controller. Are you sure the first drive works at all?

Any Bios settings that would help?

Don't know of any. But you might want to scan the ATA/IDE section of your BIOS to see if there's anything that might be useful. Perhaps if you can force it to a slower speed (ATA33 for example) it would work ... but I'm just guessing.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies