sweetleaf <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> When i installed freebsd-5.1, i stayed close to the recommended
> partition sizes in the handbook. The faq. said 100 megabytes would
> usually be enough for the / partition. I decided to install freebsd
> with 300M for the / partition just to be on the safe side. The only
> thing i have added since the original install is the linux
> compatibility and some linux apps i needed such as netscape, opera
> etc. Ok, now for some reason my / partition shows to be full and i
> cant figure it out as like i said only a few apps have been
> installed. It appears to me that after adding linux compatibility
> the / partition went to full maybe because of the syslink "compat"
> that was placed on my / partition by the freebsd-5.1 linux
> compatibility port.

No, /compat should be pointing off to your /usr partition, so it isn't
using any significant space.

The question is how to figure out where the space is going, because
you do indeed have what *should* be plenty of space.  Use "du -x" to
figure out what's putting a lot of data on /.

> Is there another way this should be done?

Depends on how you use your box.  For an average desktop, I'm not sure
it's worth splitting up your partitions at all.