Gary Aitken wrote:
What does the following mean, and where did I screw up?
It seems to me like the complaint is what I want -- MX says nightmare, which is nightmare.dreamchaser.org, which is 12.32.36.65. Obviously something here I don't understand (nothing new there...)
[ ... ]
This suddenly showed up as a result of removing dreamchaser.org and nightmare.dreamchaser.org from my /etc/mail/sendmail.cw file, but leaving in the following two entires:
12.32.36
12.32.36.65

This is the #1 sendmail FAQ entry; basicly, you need to list all of the names, not IP addresses, for which your mail server should perform local delivery.

Your MX records are fine, or at least aren't the cause of the problem, anyway-- MX records tell other mail servers where (which IP) to deliver mail for a given address to. But your mailserver doesn't care what IP the mail was delivered to; it cares whether the receipient address is local or not.

--
-Chuck

PS: sendmail.cw is an old name; try switching to /etc/mail/local-host-names...