On Fri, 20 Jun 2003 04:01:03 -0500, sweetleaf <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I was wondering what browsers and java seem to work the best. I need to do online banking and would like to use java applets such as the chat.yahoo.com. I have tried both mozilla and netscap with suns current java-runtime and have found them to be extermetly unreliable. I wanted to switch from windows to unix for about 2 yrs but could never find a solution to java, and that remains the case after 3 yrs. Why is good java support in browsers so difficult in unnix, seeing how java started its life in the unix community. I cat believe windows and internet explorer is actually better at java then unix.

Any good lightweight browsers other than netscape, mozilla or opera that work with java?

Thanks in ./adv

Sorry that I haven't used Java enough in FreeBSD to answer your question about browsers (my rural area limited to 28.8K dialup and satellite; latter's too expensive, so installing Java is the work of days). I can at least tell you, though, that the unreliability you see is simply due to MS's 'hijacking' of Java by use of a non-standard VM. Because of IE's market share, the sites you want to use all are tested and work with IE's non-standard Java, but that's not the case for Sun's or IBM's standard versions. Hmm, so maybe I've answered your question anyway - any non-IE browser will have difficulty on many "Java" Web sites because it's not using IE's virtual machine.

Jud