Thanks for prompt reply, guys.  I enjoy this community, but hate the install.

While I didn't mention it in my email, I did try this as well:
> > # XFree86 -configure
And it didn't work.  Gave me X cursor in gray screen and could not get out.

As for checking for multiple config files, how would I know?  Where would I find them?
What would I do with them all, just rm them?  What if I found more than one?  How do I
know which one is being used?  Why so many config utils?  Why are there so many
possible locations?

This is my first install of BSD, and while I've installed Linux a dozen times, I don't
know where to find things in BSD.  I'm overwhelmed and frustrated.  Please walk me
through the steps before I give up on BSD.

I wonder if my S3 Savage 2000 video card is supported, even though it was on the list.
 I saw many posts about S3 problems, none with obvious solutions.  I could use the
FreeBSD 5.1 Release if that would help.  I saw this link about S3 Savage at
http://www.xfree86.org/support.html a private developer at
http://www.probo.com/timr/savage40.html where he says:  "xvideo on the Savage2000
still seems to be broken. I don't know when I'll be able to get around to this."

Thus far, the install process is overly complicated and not inviting to new users.  I
could provide specific feedback on this if anyone wants it.

http://cgisleve.tripod.com/bsd/xfreebad.html is a web page of this info.