I'm trying to get VAX emulation running on FreeBSD using simh from
http://simh.trailing-edge.com/

The code has hooks for NetBSD and OpenBSD and Linux (uses libpcap on *BSD).

The code from the simh v3.0 simulator is as follows:

#if defined (__NetBSD__) || defined(__OpenBSD__)
 dev->handle = (void*) pcap_open_live(savname, bufsz, ETH_PROMISC, -1, errbuf);
#endif /* (__NetBSD__) || defined(__OpenBSD__) */

What's needed to get this to work on FreeBSD.  It appears in it's
default config to be unable to open the ethernet, even though it sees fxp0.

If I change the -1 to 1000 (picked this idea up from the tcpdump code
in src/contrib/tcpdump) it appears to open -- but nothing is passed.
(I used tcpdump to test if the VAX packets were getting out).

Any suggestions -- please?

I'm really looking forward to accessing the pseudo Vax over telnet...

Bill Pechter