Brett Glass wrote:
At 06:43 PM 6/27/2003, Kris Kennaway wrote:

You're supposed to boot into single-user mode to repair the
filesystems before attempting to bring it up to multiuser state.

Ah... but you're not there at the exact moment when the power comes back on. (Maybe it was just a flicker and there was no UPS, or maybe the power company -- like ours -- is so slow to fix outages that the UPS battery was fully drained.)

Normally, fsck is able to automatically handle the problem after a dirty shutdown. In all the dirty shutdowns I've seen, I've only had to manually run fsck maybe twice.

As far as the power sit is concerned: if you have a UPS and you
don't have some sort of monitoring software to gracefully shutdown
the machine during extended outages, you're shooting yourself in
the foot!  Kind of like getting a car with all the fancy safety
features so you can drink a bottle of vodka before you drive.

Regardless, isn't this the reason background fsck was developed in 5?

What's more, even if you CAN boot into single user mode and run fsck, it can be frustrating. Sometimes a partition takes two
or three passes to clean up.

Yeah, that is a PITA, but I can understand the reason.

Sometimes fsck randomly refuses
to work on one. It's a mess.

Never had that happen.

Ideally, the system would handle the logistics. It's not as if
powering down without shutting down is that rare of an occurrence.

Really? Doesn't happen all that often to me.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies