On Sun, Jun 29, 2003 at 08:22:53AM -0400, Rod Person wrote:
> I'm trying to setup a nfs share on my server. I'm trying to connect from
> a laptop to that share. The laptops ip address is assigned via dhcp.
>
> I try to connect to the share with the command
> mount -v servername:/mountpoint /mnt
>
> and get the error: nfs: can't get net id for host

This error occurs when mount_nfs(8) has attempted to look up your
server's hostname and resolve it into one or more IP numbers first via
inet_addr(3) and failing that then via gethostbyname(3), and still
hasn't managed to get an IP number.

Try putting the hostname and IP number of your server into /etc/hosts
on your client machine, or configure your client machine to use a DNS
machine that knows about your server.

        Cheers,

        Matthew

                                                      Savill Way