> The pros and cons of FreeBSD based solution:
>
> + cheaper
> + more reliable (my oppionion)
> + have more experiences with this OS
> + can be configured as one wish
> - not all feautures of Windows (snapshot copy, backup utilities)

You can get most of this functionality with some clever scripting.

> - correct hardware support (is 1Gbit/s network working correctly?,
> hotswaping, RAID controller)

I don't know about the nic, but I've had extremely good luck with the
Dell RAID Cards on Linux. Usually once a driver comes out for a dell
card on Linux, it's ported to BSD shortly afterward (aacraid for
example).

> Protocol support is probably the same (we need just NFS and SMB). It will be
> used for users' data (home directories).
>
> What is your opinion? Does it make sense?

It makes perfect sense if you want better uptimes, less hassle, and a
better performing OS.

> Thanks in advance
>
> lk

Jason Stewart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>