I'm having a problem with premature termination of ssh sessions after
an idle period of a few minutes, getting a "connection reset by peer"
message.  I presume this is due to intermediate stateful firewalls
closing the connection when no traffic passes for a period of time.

In the past I've addressed this issue when I have control of the
destination host, by including the following parameters in
sshd_config:

ClientAliveInterval 30
ClientAliveCountMax 4

However in this case I don't have control over the destination.  It's
a self-contained network device.

man 5 ssh_conf says that "KeepAlive" is the default with ssh.  Is
there any other tactic I can use to keep these connections from
closing after a few minutes of inactivity?

Currently on FreeBSD 4.8-stable with OpenSSH_3.5p1

--
Philip J. Koenig
[EMAIL PROTECTED]