On Thu, 3 Jul 2003, DanB wrote:

> I am ftping 4.8iso to a windows 98 box with ftppro then transferring the
> file to a xp box with a cd writer.
> Is there any down falls to this? I notice that Freebsd file size is 265k
> the download size is 271k on the Windows 98 box is somthing being added
> to the transfer?

Possibly; as Joshua mentioned, FTP clients may try to translate line
feeds to CRLF if they think it's a text file.

However, more likely IME is that Windows is just calculating the number
slightly differently.  265 * 1024 = 271360, which might be called 271 by
a program using even thousands instead of 1024.