On Thursday, Jul 3, 2003, at 09:44 US/Mountain, Micheal Patterson wrote:

As I recall, that particular system is running an Adaptec 2100S under
FreeBSD 4.8. I've not found any software that can access that particular
raid directly for configuration from within the running OS.

Actually Adaptec has FreeBSD management software for the 2100S. I had/have two machines running 2100S and FreeBSD 4.7 and on one of them I can get the management software to run and on one of them I can't. There is no difference in the machines themselves. But you can download and try the software from the adaptec website.

Chad

The only way to
access it that I'm aware of is with the standard Control A at system startup
to access the on board settings of the card. Here, the raid type can be
configured. I will say that I've had a drive failure on this system with
little effect on the normal operation of the OS. However, since there aren't
any hot swappable bays in this particular system (company didn't want to
spend for them), the system has to be shut down to replace the failed drive.
However, the system will still boot in diminished mode and continue this way
until the new drive has been restored.

--

Micheal Patterson
TSG Network Administration